Peninsula Press Club journalism boot camp May 13 in SF

The Peninsula Press Club is hosting a Saturday workshop for student journalists and advisers in mid-May at City College of San Francisco. Here is the text of the announcement at http://sfppc.blogspot.com/:

Journalism in the Age of Fake Facts — that’s the theme for the press club’s annual high school journalism boot camp, set for Saturday, May 13, at City College of San Francisco.

This year’s event merges two other longtime club services to journalism education, high school journalism contests and scholarships totaling $2,000.

The contest awards are for work by journalism students throughout the Bay Area. Part of these will be presented during a morning event, then concluded after the boot camp. Two scholarships for $1,000 each will be presented at day’s end. The event runs from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

How do you enter the contest? Go here for the details. Here’s a list of last year’s winners.

“The High School Boot Camp is an excellent way for students to learn about many aspects of the news business by attending interesting workshops and listening to exceptional guest speakers,” said Antonia Ehlers, president for the San Francisco Peninsula Press Club. “The energy is high, as young journalists network with students from other Bay Area public and private high schools while learning new skills from the experts.”

The keynote speaker is Kaylee Fagan, journalism major from San Francisco State University who has developed a fake news web series recently presented at a national journalism convention.

The event will feature a panel discussion on the recent phenomenon of “fake news and alternative facts.” An array of workshops will address such topics as breaking news coverage, photography, video production, investigative journalism and feature writing.