The Journalism Education Association of Northern California, a non-profit organization headquartered in Sacramento, CA, is committed to serving scholastic journalism educators and their students. It covers the territory from Bakersfield and Santa Barbara to the Oregon border.
• Membership is available to all advisers of scholastic publications, grades 7 through 12, in both public and private schools.
• JEANC works closely with the national Journalism Education Association in sponsoring events such as the Journalist of the Year scholarship program.
• JEANC cooperates with state journalism organizations to host workshops and conventions.
• JEANC recognizes outstanding programs with its Adviser of the Year awards.
• JEANC has published Journalism: Model curriculum Guidelines and will soon release the companion piece, A Framework for Journalism Education.
• The JEANC Board is working with the State Department of Education in an attempt to improve recognition of journalism education within the existing academic structure.
• Board members are available by telephone to answer questions individual advisers may encounter during the year.