Arnetta Garcin Memorial Scholarship winners announced

Anna Jerolimov of Monta Vista High School is the first prize winner of the 2023 Arnetta Garcin Memorial Scholarship.

The winner of the 2023 Arnetta Garcin Memorial Scholarship is Anna Jerolimov from Monta Vista High School in Cupertino. Her adviser is Julia Satterthwaite, MJE.

A panel of three judges read and ranked the portfolios in early February and named Delilah Brumer from Daniel Pearl Magnet School in Los Angeles the California Journalist of the Year. Her adviser is Adriana Chavira, MJE.

This year’s California JOY  and Arnetta Garcin Memorial Scholarship judges were Lori Keekly, Associate Director, Quill and Scroll and 2016 National High School Journalism Teacher of the Year; Lori Oglesbee, 2009 H. L. Hall National Yearbook Adviser of the Year; and Monica Hill, Director, North Carolina Scholastic Media Association.

Runners up for the Garcin scholarship are Arati Periyannan of Palo Alto High School, Paul Kandell & Brian Wilson, advisers, and Shun Graves of the The Branson School in Ross, Julie Kuo, CJE, adviser.

Garcin winners receive a cash prize of $1000 for first place, $600 for second place and $400 for third. Winners are the top three Northern California portfolios submitted in the California JOY competition.

Next year’s portfolios are tentatively due Feb. 1, 2024. Details will be available in early fall 2023.